You might not associate sport with fashion, but whether you’re playing (or even just watching) basketball, baseball, football, tennis, hockey, or any other popular sport, if you pay attention, you will notice trends.
While rules do govern the gear that is used for various sports, they don’t govern things like fabric and cut, or strictly speaking even color. The best fabrics are lightweight and made to absorb sweat and keep the wearer cool.
Also, a number of classic brands, including Nike, are using the services of luxury designers to develop fashionable sports clothing, not only for those who play competitive and team sport but also for those who participate in sports activities to get fit. It’s a bit like street fashion, but on the field and track … and in the gym.
At the same time many sports stars take the lead in sports fashion.
A recent article in Sports Illustrated highlighted some of the sporting fashionistas who are clear leaders when it comes to fashionable custom clothing on and off the field. These included:
Professional football player Victor Cruz who says he always goes great lengths to ensure he looks as good on the field as he does at any other time. In fact, he says that football has given him the perfect platform “to show the world how I dress.”
- Professional basketball player Russell Westbrook who now boasts his own brand. He’s studied fashion in his quest to be a fashionable sports star.
- Another professional basketball player, LeBron James, who is a lifetime ambassador for Nike, has his own menswear apparel store. His forte is a tailored look, proving that even when you’re sweaty you can look ultra smart!
- Grand Slam champion Serena Williams who has taken tennis fashion to a whole new level, sporting custom uniforms she’s proud to wear.
- Swedish-born professional ice hockey goalie Henrik Lundqvist who is regarded as one of the best-dressed athletes in sport. His attention to detail extends to underwear – and he even has his own brand!
- Portuguese professional footballer Cristiana Ronaldo who also has an upbeat underwear collection, and he’s known for his impeccable taste both on and off the field. His custom uniforms are inspirational.
- Professional basketball player Dwyane Wade who prides himself on an unpredictable wardrobe. His brands feature socks, ties, and a watch, while his own clothing is inspired by the places he has travelled to.
- Professional league basketball player Andre Iguodala, whose criticism of the NBA’s mandatory dress code is harsh. Another pro who has his own collection, Iguodala says creativity in “styling” enables players to transform what they see as an unacceptable dress code.
- Professional basketball player Skylar Diggins who likes to look “tomboy chic” on and off the court. Certainly, her custom uniforms are awesome!
Thompson’s Sport Shop stocks custom uniforms for all sports, including those for team players. Choose from a wide array of manufacturers (including Nike), types, and styles.
Based in Savannah Georgia, we service all the states of Georgia, as well as Alabama, North Florida, and South Carolina. Expect top quality merchandise at exceptional prices. Pop in, give us a call, or check out our online store.