Baseball is America’s game and has been since its creation. This Savannah GA sporting goods store takes it very seriously and loves to discuss the latest season, player stats, and even its history. When you get a bunch of those people together and they start discussing baseball, two things are inevitable. The first is that at some point people will start talking about their favorite players and then shortly after that the ranking will begin. The second is that no one will ever agree on who is the most important baseball player of all time or even who is in the top ten.
Here is a list of the Top 5 Most Iconic Baseball Players in History:
- Mickey Mantle – Mickey was one of the most impressive switch hitters of all time and to this day holds the career record for homeruns by a switch hitter. He wasn’t just an offensive player though; he could also pull his weight on defense. Mickey was just as good at throwing people out at the plate as he was at making a diving catch.
- Babe Ruth – Who hasn’t heard of Babe Ruth? Even people that have never watched a baseball game know that he was one of the greatest hitters in history. He was the homerun record holder for a long time. What many people may not know is that Babe was also an impressive pitcher.
- Ty Cobb – Ty was an interesting player because he is not best known for his abilities. He was superb on both offense and defense. At one time Ty held the record for stealing bases but most people remember him for his cocky and arrogant attitude.
- Bo Jackson – Bo is a fantastic athlete that excels at both baseball and football. He is best known for making a historic play where he ran up the field fence, caught a fly ball in the corner then managed to throw the runner out at third.
- Lou Gehrig – He hit over 500 home runs in his career! He was a tremendous first baseman and many people believed he would have broken 600 homeruns if his disease had not shortened his career.